21 Small Hiking Backpacks For Your Next Outdoor Adventure
Whether hiking is your heaven or hell, you'll want these bags for your next expedition.
We hope you love the products we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our editors. Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to shop from them. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
1. A sling backpack that you can simply throw over your shoulder and go about your day outdoors. It has a waterproof exterior and plenty of pockets to store anything you'd need (including one for your tablet).
2. A 10-liter day pack with a secret pocket (among loads of others) so you can feel super safe while you're out being the nature god/goddess that you are.
3. A North Face mini backpack stylish enough to evoke envy from everyone on your campus, and functional enough to hit the trails at any time.
4. A foldable cross-body backpack that will take up less space than a Nintendo Switch, and you can still pack it full of all your essentials then frolic to your heart's content.
5. A hiking daypack available in a 24-L version that can ACTUALLY fit in your pocket when it's folded up. When unfolded, this will be your next lightweight travel BFF.
6. An Osprey day pack you'll be delighted by, on account of just how many knickknacks you can stuff in here and you'll still feel like you're wearing nothing on your back.
7. And a bonus kids' Osprey with tons of tot-friendly features so your little one can hit the trails safely — like a safety whistle, a hydration pack, easy-to-grasp zipper pulls, and pockets with tethers for smaller grabbers.
8. An Eddie Bauer packable 20-L daypack that has all the bells and whistles, and can also fold into itself — all for $15 right now.
9. A hydration-compatible REI pack that makes packing as easy as just stuffing everything inside. With two sets of front straps, you know that this baby isn't budging while you scale a mountain.
10. A hydration backpack that's made of moisture-wicking material and connects to a water bladder so you can refuel on the go without having to stop and pull out a clunky water bottle.
11. An Athleta backpack if you want to give your outdoor routine a chic upgrade. This backpack can double as a trail staple or your go-to when you just want to jaunt around town.
12. A Lululemon active backpack designed for the outdoors enthusiast who's always on the go — this lightweight, water-repellent guy will be your best friend.
13. A lightweight day pack that's breathable and foldable, so when you're enjoying the great outdoors you won't even remember you're carrying a whole buttload of stuff.
14. A water-resistant day pack that's unassuming, but packs a punch. In other words, you'll feel like you have a magic backpack that you can keep pulling stuff out of like a real-life Dora the Explorer.
15. A hiking day pack both kiddos and adults will love for its durability and sheer functionality, whether you're hiking, cycling, sailing, exploring a new city, or just existing in need of a new backpack.
16. An ultralight 35-L day pack destined to automatically channel your inner adventurer, complete with a safety whistle, foldable material, and the ability to carry everything you need for the day while still feeling light as a feather on your back.
17. A small backpack you'll want to venture outdoors in, even if you're the biggest homebody there is. You won't be able to resist the lightweight material and tiny, nonclunky size!
18. A hydration backpack so you don't have to reach behind you for your water bottle and miss the scenic view. It comes with the 3-liter hydration bladder, a rain cover, AND a lifetime warranty. What more could you need?
19. A Carhartt cooler backpack sure to keep all your hiking accoutrements nice and cool so you can fulfill your dream of cracking a cold one at the top of a mountain.
20. A recycled Vera Bradley sling bag for casual adventurers who wants your bag to also serve as an adorable travel accessory whose floral design will make you smile.
21. And a Patagonia 23-L backpack that's designed for people with shorter torsos to be able to move comfortably. On top of that, it's 100% recycled — win-win!
You, suiting up for your next outdoor adventure after buying you new backpack:
Reviews have been edited for length and/or clarity.