1. This is Maddie Cable, a 17-year-old steampunk aficionado and car crash survivor.
On Nov. 30, 2015, Maddie and her mother, Linda, were merging onto a highway in the pouring rain when their car hydroplaned and crashed. Maddie suffered a fracture to her T12 vertebra. The doctors stabilized it with rods and pins and told her she needed to wear the brace for at least six weeks.
2. So Maddie and her friend Sarah transformed the brace into a cosplayer’s ~dream~.
“At first, I felt very self-conscious about the brace,” Maddie told BuzzFeed. “But then Sarah brought up the idea of steampunking it, which I loved.” The two girls, who have been friends for about 10 years, share a love of all things steampunk.
5. “I enjoy wearing it now. It makes me feel more confident.”
Since her post-surgical appointment a few weeks ago, Maddie’s been able to do without the brace for a few hours at a time, with the goal of being weaned off of it by her next follow-up visit. And both girls are brainstorming: A friend is preparing for knee surgery, so they may have another project on the horizon.
- The pilot of the jet carrying a Brazilian soccer team chose to skip a refuel stop before crashing in Colombia, killing 71 people.
- Donald Trump has picked retired Gen. James "Mad Dog" Mattis for defense secretary, a four-star general who led the US in Iraq.
- Tennessee's massive wildfires have now killed eleven people and destroyed or damaged more than 700 structures.
- Spanish authorities have accused six professional tennis players of helping to fix 17 matches 🎾💰