1. This is Maddie Cable, a 17-year-old steampunk aficionado and car crash survivor.
On Nov. 30, 2015, Maddie and her mother, Linda, were merging onto a highway in the pouring rain when their car hydroplaned and crashed. Maddie suffered a fracture to her T12 vertebra. The doctors stabilized it with rods and pins and told her she needed to wear the brace for at least six weeks.
2. So Maddie and her friend Sarah transformed the brace into a cosplayer’s ~dream~.
“At first, I felt very self-conscious about the brace,” Maddie told BuzzFeed. “But then Sarah brought up the idea of steampunking it, which I loved.” The two girls, who have been friends for about 10 years, share a love of all things steampunk.
5. “I enjoy wearing it now. It makes me feel more confident.”
Since her post-surgical appointment a few weeks ago, Maddie’s been able to do without the brace for a few hours at a time, with the goal of being weaned off of it by her next follow-up visit. And both girls are brainstorming: A friend is preparing for knee surgery, so they may have another project on the horizon.
- Over two dozen people were injured after a truck crashed into a crowd at a Mardi Gras parade, New Orleans police said.
- President Trump said he will skip the White House correspondents' dinner. On Friday, he called the media "the enemy of the people."
- Moderate to severe coral bleaching continues to affect the Great Barrier Reef almost a year after the worst bleaching crisis in history.
- Here's the beef: Rapper Remy Ma dragged Nicki Minaj in a new diss track, and she fired back with a Beyoncé endorsement 😱