31 Reasons Why Fashion Icon Isabella Blow Is The Absolute Best
Before there was Gaga or Dello Russo or wacky street style period, there was Isabella Blow. And she was wonderful.
Celebrate the incomparable stylist's legacy as British museum Somerset House announces a retrospective of her life and wardrobe.
It will be great.
1. Because she wore feathery headpieces crafted in her name.
2. And because she once wore a lobster "hat," Schiaparelli-style.
3. An extravagant headpiece became Blow's calling card.
4. Hats like this.
5. And hats like this.
6. This one too.
7. Also, these hats.
8. One more hat, because it's lovely, and because hats were her thing.
9. Because that love of hats led to her fervent cheerleading of Philip Treacy's work.
10. Treacy first designed a headpiece for the bridal look she chose for her second wedding, to art dealer Detmar Blow.
11. In other words, this might not have happened without her.
12. She's also widely credited with discovering Alexander McQueen.
13. Case in point: this fabulous David LaChapelle photo.
14. She even walked in McQueen's fall/winter 1994 show.
15. Following her death in 2007, invites to the spring/summer 2008 McQueen show featured a tribute to Blow.
16. She styled this phenomenal editorial entitled "The Dark Knight Returns" for The Face in 1998.
17. She discovered top model Stella Tennant.
18. And top-model-turned-cookery-show-host Sophie Dahl.
19. It's time for a few more hats. Like this one.
20. And this one.
21. She could never say no to a nice pile of plumage.
22. And who can blame her?
23. She ruled the street style scene before there even was street style, and had more fun with the concept than anyone does today.
24. She once got photobombed by a surprised/amused Suzy Menkes.
25. She even wore Gaga's pink burqa first.
26. She made a cameo appearance in the 2004 film The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou.
27. She sat next to André Leon Talley once when he wore a velour tracksuit to a fashion show.
28. A McQueen look dedicated to her once covered The New Yorker.
29. She was the life and soul of many a fashion party.
30. And her sense of style remains inimitable.
Isabella Blow: Fashion Galore! will open at Somerset House in November, thanks to a special partnership with Blow's close friend Daphne Guinness, the Isabella Blow Foundation, and London fashion college Central Saint Martins.