1. Choose the right type of curling iron for your needs.
2. For tighter curls, a small-barreled iron is your best bet. For looser waves, try a large-barreled iron.
3. Short hair? Use a small-barreled iron facing downward.
4. Remove the clip from your curling iron to create a curling wand.
5. Use these helpful guidelines to figure out how to achieve your perfect curl.
6. Curl your hair while it's in a high ponytail for quick, effortless waves.
7. Instead of clipping your hair to the end and spinning the iron up, clip in closer to the roots and twirl your hair through the clamp.
8. Face the clasp forward to spin the hair through more easily.
9. Curl your hair in the direction away from your face on either side for a more natural, voluminous look.
10. The closer to the root you start the curl, the longer your curl will last.
11. For fine, thin, or color-treated hair, set the heat below 200 degrees Fahrenheit, and between 200-300 degrees for coarse, thick hair.
12. To make the most of your curling iron's abilities, dry your hair according to the curls you want.
13. Slide your hair off the wand/out of the clip into your hand to allow the curl to cool before dropping.
14. Go a step further and clip your curls straight off the barrel in coils on the top of your head so they can fully cool.
15. While running the iron through your hair, hold your iron vertically for looser curls, and horizontally for bouncier, tighter curls.
Tips for vertical curling: Pull the iron downward for a flatter curl; pull it up and away from your head for more volume.