Southern Shrimp Dogs
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon paprika
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons jalapeño, minced
½ cup onion, minced
⅔ cup corn, chopped
1½ cups buttermilk
1 quart vegetable oil
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1. Preheat vegetable oil in a pot to 350˚F/175˚C.
2. In a large bowl, mix cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, ½ teaspoon paprika, salt, and pepper.
3. In a separate bowl, combine, buttermilk, egg, onion, corn, and jalapeño. Set aside until ready to fry.
4. In a bowl, combine the shrimp spices, 1 tablespoon salt, 1 teaspoon paprika, and 1 teaspoon garlic powder.
5. Toss shrimp in spices and skewer 4 shrimp per skewer.
6. When all the skewers are ready to be dipped, the bowl of wet ingredients can be combined with the dry.
7. Pour mixture into a tall cup and dip shrimp skewer in it. *If shrimp is liquidy, pat dry with paper towel so shrimp doesn’t slide off skewer.
8. Place coated skewer in fryer and fry for about 4 minutes or until golden brown.
9. Serve with an Alabama Back Forty beer and enjoy!