1. The trailer for the new stop-motion animated film The Boxtrolls — featuring the voices of Elle Fanning, Simon Pegg, and Ben Kingsley — just debuted. It starts like this.
2. Then they add a daddy.
Goodness, that baby’s hair gets mussed a lot.
3. But then things take an unexpected and wonderful turn.
Two dads! In a trailer for a family movie!
4. There’s no mistaking the meaning here. Or how happy the baby is no matter who its parents are.
This is both incredibly timely and incredibly impressive. No other mainstream family film has ever been this forthrightly gay friendly in its trailer.
5. The baby is even happy with a loving family of boxtrolls!
Which seems to be the point of the movie given its title and everything, so OK!
7. Watch the full trailer here:
Toni Collette, Nick Frost, and Jared Harris are also supplying their voices for the movie, which doesn’t arrive until Sept. 26, 2014. So far away!
- Inside WikiLeaks: A former employee shares what he learned about Julian Assange (including his beef with Hillary Clinton).
- One week into the fight to take back Mosul, expectations for quick success have clashed with the reality of a bloody struggle ahead.
- Less than 24 hours after AT&T announced an $85 billion deal to buy Time Warner, politicians are expressing skepticism and opposition.
- An NFL player paid tribute to Harambe, the gorilla who died at a Cincinnati zoo, on his cleats.