2 small spaghetti squash, cut in half lengthwise, seeds removed
1 lb lean ground turkey
¼ cup bread crumbs
¼ cup grated parmesan cheese, plus 1 Tbsp. for garnish
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp kosher salt
¼ tsp black pepper
2 Tbsp. flat-leaf parsley
2 tsp olive oil
3 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 15-oz can low-sodium/no-salt-added diced tomatoes
1 8-oz can low-sodium/no-salt-added tomato sauce
1 tsp dry oregano
½ tsp coarse salt
1 6-oz bag baby spinach
½ cup shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
Fresh parsley, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 400°F/200°C.
2. Lightly spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray. Place squash halves cut-side down and bake until soft 35–55 minutes, depending on the size of the squash.
3. Combine all meatball ingredients in a large bowl and gently mix with
hands. Shape into golf ball-sized meatballs and line up on an oiled baking
sheet. Bake 12 minutes, flipping halfway through to brown on both sides.
4. In a medium saucepan, heat 2 teaspoons olive oil and add garlic cloves. Sauté until fragrant. Add diced tomatoes and tomato sauce. Season with oregano and
salt, then simmer 5 minutes. Fold the spinach into the hot sauce to wilt and set sauce aside.
5. When squash is fork-tender, add a few spoonfuls of sauce to the center of the squash, using it as a boat. Fill with meatballs and top with more sauce.
6. Evenly distribute the mozzarella between the 4 squash boats and bake 5–7
minutes until cheese melts.
7. Garnish with fresh parsley and parmesan cheese.
1 serving provides:
20 g fat
7 g saturated fat
334 mg sodium
36 g carbs
7 g fiber
7 g sugar
209 mg cholesterol
45 g protein