1. Rumors that Russian pop duo t.A.T.u. would be performing at the Sochi opening ceremonies were finally confirmed as the women took the stage in Fisht Stadium today.
2. Lena Katina and Yulia Volkova performed during the pre-show, which was not broadcast internationally.
7. The group sang their biggest international hit, “Not Gonna Get Us.”
8. Given Russia’s current anti-LGBT laws, rumors of their performance caused quite a bit of confusion.
14. In March 2011, the duo officially announced their separation and embarked on solo careers – reuniting periodically for concerts.
15. Later on, as the Russian Olympic team entered Fisht Stadium, the duo’s famous song was played again.
19. The ceremony’s director, Konstantin Ernst, said Tatu’s “Not Gonna Get Us” was chosen because it’s one of the only Russian pop songs “that international viewers might recognize.”
20. Unlike previous performances, the ladies did not share a kiss this time around.
Sarah Karlan is the Deputy LGBT Editor for BuzzFeed News and is based in New York.
Contact Sarah Karlan at email@example.com.
In The News Today
- 26 people, thought to be refugees and migrants, were discovered in the back of a truck in Austria. ›
- Thai police arrested a man alleged to have explosives in his possession, almost two weeks after a deadly bomb blast in Bangkok killed 20 people. ›
- Kyle Jean-Baptiste, the first black man to play Jean Valjean on Broadway in "Les Misérables," died Friday. He was 21. ›