1. Australian model and DJ Ruby Rose unveiled “Break Free” last week, a short film she says is inspired by her own struggle with gender presentation and fluidity.
2. With over 100,000 shares and 80,000 likes on Facebook – the film, written and produced by Rose herself – has a lot of people talking. She posted the project along with this brief description:
3. “A short film about gender roles, Trans, and what it is like to have an identity that deviates from the status quo.”
4. In the film, Rose appears first with blonde shoulder-length hair, full makeup, and a tight-fitting dress.
6. She cuts her hair, removes the makeup, and reveals a full sleeve of tattoos.
7. Rose is then shown getting dressed – this time choosing to wrap her breasts, wear a strap-on, and don a suit.
8. Rose experienced confusion concerning her own gender and identity during her childhood – at one point she had even considered sex-reassignment surgery.
9. Shortly after the project went live, the model spoke candidly on the issues of bullying within the LGBT community on her Facebook page:
You know what needs to stop just as much as homophobia, bullying within the LGBT Community… A ‘bisexual’ isnt just greedy.. ‘Pansexual’ exists and isnt a cop out.. ‘Straight’ people can be gay huge advocates and blessings to the community… you can identify as trans without surgery, you can be gender fluid… infact guess what… you can be whoever you are and like whoever you like and WE should spread the love and acceptance we constantly say we dont receive. I will delete any inter fan/follower bullying.. because its so backwards and does not belong on my page.