1. Recently a group of anonymous artists in San Francisco began “hacking” the definition of marriage by vandalizing dictionaries in bookstores.
2. They would be pleased to learn the world’s most well-known dictionary has reportedly decided the definition of “marriage” will change to include same-sex couples.
3. Due to the recent legalization of same-sex marriage in England and Wales, the Oxford English Dictionary will look into how this change affects the meaning of the word.
4. As it currently stands, the Oxford English Dictionary defines marriage as:
5. Only in a reference does the definition say marriage could also be “(in some jurisdictions) a union between partners of the same sex.”
6. The press spokeswoman for Oxford University stated:
We are constantly monitoring usage in this area in order to consider what revisions and updates we may need to make. It’s worth pointing out that, as the OED is distinct from other dictionaries in being a historical record of the language, meanings of the past will remain, even while language changes and new ones are added.
7. How does Oxford’s definition stack up against other dictionaries?
8. The other popular book of words, Merriam-Webster, defines marriage as:
So close, and yet.
- U.S. President Barack Obama said the United Nations climate summit in Paris could be a "turning point" in saving the planet 🌍 ›
- Planned Parenthood officials said they believed Friday's shooting at a Colorado Springs clinic was motivated by opposition to abortion. ›
- And Kobe Bryant wrote a poem announcing that he's retiring from professional basketball at the end of this season 🏀🎭 ›