1. The Rhode Island Senate passed a same-sex marriage bill on Wednesday, April 24th.
Gov. Lincoln Chafee, an independent, pledged to sign the bill immediately following its final passage.
The first weddings could take place Aug. 1, when the new law would take effect.
Speaker Fox @repgordonfox wiping away tears as seession is about to begin. What a day, after 20 years #ri4m— Matt McDermott
4. Today, the Rhode Island House voted to approve the Senate’s changes to the marriage bill:
Rhode Island House Speaker blows a kiss to gay marriage supporters in the chamber:
“Democracy, though it may take a long time, does work. That is the message for the day.” — RI House Speaker Gordon Fox #ssm— maria caporizzo
Gov. Chafee: I am proud to make marriage equality the law of the land in Rhode Island.
Signing the bill:
- Hundreds of Eurostar passengers moving between Britain and France were stranded for hours as people were seen on the tracks attempting to get through the tunnel. ›
- Europe's busiest sexual health clinic in London has accidentally revealed the identities of nearly 800 HIV-positive patients in a group email. ›
- The fingerprints of the main suspect in last month's deadly Bangkok shrine blast match those found on bomb-making material, Thai police say. ›