1. The Rhode Island Senate passed a same-sex marriage bill on Wednesday, April 24th.
Gov. Lincoln Chafee, an independent, pledged to sign the bill immediately following its final passage.
The first weddings could take place Aug. 1, when the new law would take effect.
Speaker Fox @repgordonfox wiping away tears as seession is about to begin. What a day, after 20 years #ri4m— Matt McDermott
4. Today, the Rhode Island House voted to approve the Senate’s changes to the marriage bill:
Rhode Island House Speaker blows a kiss to gay marriage supporters in the chamber:
“Democracy, though it may take a long time, does work. That is the message for the day.” — RI House Speaker Gordon Fox #ssm— maria caporizzo
8. The House voted 56-15 in favor of marriage equality:
Gov. Chafee: I am proud to make marriage equality the law of the land in Rhode Island.
Signing the bill:
- World leaders will meet in Paris starting Monday to discuss a potential global climate change agreement. ›
- And watch a man react to the modern world after spending 44 years in prison. ›