1. The Rhode Island Senate passed a same-sex marriage bill on Wednesday, April 24th.
Gov. Lincoln Chafee, an independent, pledged to sign the bill immediately following its final passage.
The first weddings could take place Aug. 1, when the new law would take effect.
Speaker Fox @repgordonfox wiping away tears as seession is about to begin. What a day, after 20 years #ri4m— Matt McDermott
4. Today, the Rhode Island House voted to approve the Senate’s changes to the marriage bill:
Rhode Island House Speaker blows a kiss to gay marriage supporters in the chamber:
“Democracy, though it may take a long time, does work. That is the message for the day.” — RI House Speaker Gordon Fox #ssm— maria caporizzo
Gov. Chafee: I am proud to make marriage equality the law of the land in Rhode Island.
Signing the bill:
- A Kentucky clerk is defying the Supreme Court by refusing to issue marriage licenses. Her policy comes from her religious opposition to same-sex marriage. ›
- Los Angeles has officially been selected as the American candidate city to host the 2024 Summer Olympics. ›
- McDonald's all-day breakfast is happening: It's coming to the U.S. on Oct. 6. The company started testing it this year 🍳 ›