1. The Lesbian Pride Festival and Dyke March will return to the UK for the second year running.
2. Last year, nearly 800 participants marched through London. It was the first official Dyke March there in over 20 years.
3. Organizer Emelia Holdaway hopes that this year’s march will draw even greater numbers.
Their website states, “We welcome all dykes, lesbians, bois, queers, andros, femmes, butches, inbetweenies, lipstick lesbians, leather dykes, dandies, drag kings, bisexuals, transwomen and their allies to join us at Dyke March London.” Speakers for the event have yet to be announced.
4. This year’s route will commemorate the “Votes for Women” Rally in 1908.
The Suffragettes marched the same way through London to Hyde Park in what became known as the “Votes For Women” Rally. The event will begin at 3pm in Berkeley Square, moving on to Piccadilly and Leicester Square before arriving in Soho.
5. Images from the Suffragette movement in London:
A police officer tries to remove a Suffragette from the railings outside Buckingham Palace, during a Suffragette demonstration in London.
A flag carrier and two mounted marshalls (riding astride) in a suffragette march through London in support of the Women’s Suffrage Bill, June 1910.
A suffragette recovers after fainting in police custody following a raid on Buckingham Palace.
- The gun allegedly used by an undocumented immigrant to shoot and kill a woman on a San Francisco pier last week may have been stolen from a federal agent.
- Fox has secured the rights to make a movie about the U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on marriage equality.
- Subway has suspended Jared Fogle, the weight-loss guy from their commercials, due to an FBI investigation.