1. Little Horribles is a new web series that follows a single lesbian as she navigates her thirties in Los Angeles.
2. Awkwardly navigates, that is.
The series may focus on misadventures in lesbian love, but it’s the spot on observations of life’s humiliations, and unavoidable disappointments, that everyone can relate to that truly makes this series great.
3. This show is for you if you have ever sobbed like this:
6. Creator and star Amy Rubin spoke to BuzzFeed about her experience with the series:
Amy Rubin: I didn’t specifically set out to write anything ‘gay,’ that’s just part of my experience and voice […] I really wanted to express these very small, little, personal atrocities that I have tendency to call “not that big of a deal” - because they’re not. But to the person experiencing them they’re horrific.
On what she is watching:
AR: I love a lot of TV shows and web series, all the obvious ones - Girls, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Misadventures of Awkward Black Girl. I always want to see shows like those, but with lesbian or queer leads and storylines. I know I can’t be the only one tired of digging around the same, sad Netflix queue of “LGBT films with strong female leads.” I figured if I wrote my own show, it would inherently have some pretty gay storylines. I really believe there’s an audience for this kind of series.
On the show’s awkward humor:
AR: There’s nothing more excruciating to me than a greeting or a good-bye. I find the moment when you have to decide if you’re shaking hands, real hugging, air hugging, waving, or cheek kissing to be the most unbearable interaction and one I undoubtedly get wrong every, single, time. I really wanted to explore the tragic humor in those tiny but potentially catastrophic moments.
On her hopes for the web series:
AR:: My hope is that this show can fill a gap that’s out there in entertainment. There is just so much good boundary-pushing comedy right now on TV, and online, and I love so much of it but I want a lead or two to not be straight - it’s time.
Girl, we hear you.
10. Issa Rae from the award-winning web series The Misadventures of Awkward Black Girl:
She is also the executive producer of the series.
11. Cynthia Stevenson from Dead Like Me:
And Tom Virtue!
12. Watch the series premiere:
- More than 1 million people are expected to attend Pope Francis' mass in Ecuador on Monday.