1. This Fall, MTV and Logo will feature a one-hour documentary exploring the experiences of trans youth, BuzzFeed can exclusively reveal. In addition to executive producing, Orange Is The New Black’s Laverne Cox will be the documentary’s host.
2. Trans Teen: The Documentary will focus on the lives of four trans youth (ranging in age from 14-24) from diverse neighborhoods across the country.
3. According to a spokesperson at MTV and Logo, the documentary subjects were found without the use of traditional casting methods.
Some of the youth featured in the documentary reached out to Cox themselves during her college speaking tour, while others were found through personal YouTube channels.
4. Although few details are known at this time, it’s not too early to get excited about it.
2014 is already a busy year for Cox, as she works through a schedule of speaking tours at various colleges and finishes working on her documentary FREE CECE, which examines the culture of violence experienced by trans women of color. The second season of Orange Is The New Black premieres on June 6 on Netflix.
- A boat packed with mainly African migrants bound for Italy sank off the Libyan coast on Thursday and officials fear over 100 people might have died, Reuters reports. ›
- Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg said (on Faceboook, obviously) that one billion people used the service on Monday 🌐 ›