1. Singer Jessica Ellen Cornish, better known as Jessie J, took to her Twitter last night to denounce her bisexuality, declaring she is interested in “only men.”
2. The singer has been outspoken concerning her sexuality since coming out in 2011.
She told Glamour: “I’ve never used it as a gimmick. I’ve always said I’ve dated guys and I’ve dated girls… If I’m in love, I’m in love. I’m not going to hide it.”
3. At a 2011 concert the singer yelled to the crowd, “Jessie J Is bisexual!”
4. Last night, the singer began vaguely tweeting about her past personal life:
5. “We all are on a journey and I refuse to feel boxed and judged because of how I felt once,” she stated.
6. A Twitter user allegedly prompted her to “stop speaking in riddles” and “get straight to the point.”
7. In a now deleted tweet, Jessie J reportedly wrote: “I fancy/date/love men and only men. Is that ‘straight to the point’ enough?”
17. Some people felt her actions perpetuated the stereotype that bisexuality is “just a phase.”
20. And still others didn’t want to talk about her sexuality at all.
23. UPDATE – April 8, 10:08 a.m. : Jessie J responded to the backlash from her original tweets.
I was becoming famous at the very same time and felt pressure to tell everyone all my business that really looking back was really no ones to know. I fell for a person who happened to be a girl. Every other relationship I’ve had has been with a man. My record label didn’t care and it wasn’t part of my launch! Then I was asked in an interview back in the day about relationships, first time ever, and I was honest and then BAM it took over, the word bisexual before my name on almost every article I read? Like I had to say it when I introduced myself? It was crazy. Instantly I was boxed. But at the same time felt I was put forward as spokes person to break out of those same boxes? Weird. Who made it a big deal? Me? No. The media? Yes. I’m not looking for sympathy I am just being real. And yeah I have learnt to keep things private the hard way because of this exact reason. So I keep my relationships private now.