1. Like Davie Bowie before her, Janelle Monáe is queering music and fashion.
2. And she’s doing it while reminding us that you don’t have to be gay to be queer.
“The lesbian community has tried to claim me, but I only date androids.” - Janelle responding to assumptions she is gay.
3. She isn’t one to slap on a label:
In an interview with The New Gay.
4. So basically…
5. What makes her a queer icon is the fact she represents all the “others” out there.
Full interview here.
6. As for her dapper duds, you won’t see her in vibrant spring shades anytime soon.
She takes her androgynous style to the next level with black and white slacks, saddle-shoes, and suspenders.
7. Her uniform tuxedo is inspired by Marlene Dietrich and pays homage to her working class family.
“My mother, who was a janitor, and my father, who drove trash trucks. It pays homage to how they put on a uniform every day and turned nothing into something.”
8. Her hair? The result of experimentation.
“Some people call it a pompadour or a wompadour, but it’s a Monae, ” she told New York Mag.
10. She strives to redefine what it means to be sexy:
From her cover spread in Essence.
11. Preach Monáe.
12. Just look at her out “dappering” John Legend.
13. She tops Nat Ruess of FUN. like it’s no big deal.
14. Even among the MOST dapper, she out dappers.
15. Diddy and Big Boi look nervous just being in her dapper presence!
16. We could all learn a thing or two from her dapper lifestyle.
17. The dapper queen has spoken.
- Fox News has announced the 10 Republican candidates who will participate in the first debate of the 2016 U.S. presidential race on Thursday.
- The World Health Organization says new cases of Ebola in Sierra Leone and Guinea hit the lowest point in more than a year last week.
- Super Typhoon Soudelor, the strongest storm of 2015 so far, is threatening parts of Asia after hitting the Pacific island Saipan.