1. Lucas Bane and David Devora recently made the internet swoon when they uploaded their adorable proposal video on Vimeo.
Lucas (left) and David (right).
2. Lucas had the police shut down an entire street while dancers from Step Up performed a choreographed number. As a final touch, the big question was strung out in lights.
4. When the video exploded online, among the viewers was one former high school classmate of Lucas’s.
5. This particular classmate, who had bullied Lucas in school, sent him a message on Facebook to apologize.
I’m sure you have no idea who I am. I went to high school with you. If you do remember me, it’s probably not positive as I was a bit of a asshole back then. I saw your video today on Facebook and wanted to say Congratulations! No need to respond I just wanted you to know that I think what you have is awesome and wish you the best.
7. Lucas said the message threw him into total shock:
I gasped when I saw the name. Then tears. Before even reading the words I just knew that this was going to be a good note, and when I read the words and his follow-up response, I sobbed. That sounds dramatic but it’s true. A good cry on-and-off for upwards of an hour.
8. The former bully made it clear he had grown up quite a bit since high school.
9. In high school, Lucas was beat up on more than one occasion.
Well I don’t want to play the victim too much because I know there were and are lots of kids that have it way worse than I did, I was well-liked for the most part but I got my fair share of name-calling, aggression, and was beat up more than once. The worst of it was really just being shut out of groups that I really wanted to accept my friendship.
10. He explained that being beat up in high school pushed him in college to be “the best at everything.”
I was president or leader of almost every club or group at one point or another, including my Freshman class, and National Honor Society. I starred in the plays and was a champion public speaker. I was the leader of the marching band, a trumpet soloist, and I had excellent grades. I even got to speak at graduation. Laughter was my greatest weapon. I’ve always been funny and I knew at an early age that it’s hard not to like someone who has you in stitches.
- Greece won't pay the International Monetary Fund the $1.8 billion it owes on time, paving the way for a formal default.
- At least 30 people were reported dead after a military plane crashed into two houses in a residential neighborhood in the Indonesian city of Medan.
- President Obama has announced a new rule that would expand eligibility for overtime pay to millions more Americans.