1. Children’s TV Network The Hub has a new animated series with an unusual super-herioine named SheZow.
2. Unusual because SheZow is actually the alter-ego of a 12-year-old boy named Guy.
3. On the show, Guy inherits a magic ring that allows him to transform when he says, “You go, girl!”
4. Some have criticized the show’s content. Ben Shapiro posted on conservative blog breitbart:
The chief executive of the Hub, who may or may not have been high (and leftist) when she greenlit this project, is Margaret Loesch. Loesch commented, “When I first heard about the show, my reaction was ‘Are you out of your minds?’ Then I looked at it and I thought, ‘This is just funny.’”
5. The New York Daily News reported on response to the backlash:
…a spokesman for GLAAD fired back that criticizing the animated series for “promoting” transgender themes is, well, cartoonish.
“This Breitbart News article is just a laughable attempt at attention seeking, comparable to Jerry Falwell attacking the Teletubbies, and demonstrates a profound ignorance of transgender people since this show doesn’t include any,” said GLAAD’s Rich Ferraro.
6. The Hub, which is co-owned by Discovery and Hasbro, debuted SheZow on Canadian and Australian TV in December. It will premiere in the U.S. this weekend.
7. WPIX New York reported on the show:
“Then again, the entire concept of superheroes transforming and shapeshifting is no problem. So it might be a good idea to relax, support the plastic […] nature of a kids imagination…and lighten up.”
8. Check out the show’s intro:
- Dylann Roof wants to plead guilty to the charges against him in the Charleston church shooting, his attorney said, but a judge entered a not guilty plea for him on Friday.
- The U.S. Coast Guard has suspended its search for two teenagers who went missing a week ago off the coast of Florida.
- Beijing will host the 2022 Winter Olympics, becoming the first city to host both the summer and winter games.