1. At Fairview High School’s graduation ceremony this weekend in Boulder, CO, senior Ted Chalfen wasted no time in his speech:
4. Ted continued on passionately:
“Coming out before entering high school was not a decision that I undertook lightly. I had heard the horror stories about how this could be the worst four years of a young gay mans life. I was fully prepared to endure taunting, social ostracization, and even physical abuse. But I knew what I knew, and I couldn’t hide it anymore. So I decided that upon entering Fairview that if anyone asked me…I would tell them the truth. The response that I have received, by and large, has been stunning. The amount of people who actually seemed happy to hear that I was gay outnumbered those who didn’t care. And those who didn’t care far outnumbered the small group who reacted negatively.”
6. Ted tried to continue, but was interrupted by cheers and applause:
7. Watch the speech in full for complete goose-bumps:
- The fire at a South Carolina black church late Tuesday night wasn't arson, according to a preliminary investigation.
- The U.S. and Cuba have agreed to open embassies in Washington and Havana as they restore diplomatic ties after more than 50 years.
- Greece has become the first developed country to miss a debt payment to the International Monetary Fund.
- The U.S. has defeated Germany 2-0 in the Women's World Cup semis. Team USA will play Japan or England in the final ⚽️