1. At Fairview High School’s graduation ceremony this weekend in Boulder, CO, senior Ted Chalfen wasted no time in his speech:
4. Ted continued on passionately:
“Coming out before entering high school was not a decision that I undertook lightly. I had heard the horror stories about how this could be the worst four years of a young gay mans life. I was fully prepared to endure taunting, social ostracization, and even physical abuse. But I knew what I knew, and I couldn’t hide it anymore. So I decided that upon entering Fairview that if anyone asked me…I would tell them the truth. The response that I have received, by and large, has been stunning. The amount of people who actually seemed happy to hear that I was gay outnumbered those who didn’t care. And those who didn’t care far outnumbered the small group who reacted negatively.”
6. Ted tried to continue, but was interrupted by cheers and applause:
7. Watch the speech in full for complete goose-bumps:
- More debris – believed to be part of the missing aircraft MH370 – has been found washed up on the Indian Ocean island of Réunion on Sunday.
- Cilla Black, the legendary English singer and TV star, has died at her home in Spain, according to local police. She was 72-years-old.
- A conservation group at Oxford University told BuzzFeed News that media reports of Jericho's death were not true and that the 11-year-old lion was "alive and well".