1. They call themselves Les Hommen, a French action group against marriage equality.
The slogans on their bodies, written in French and English, declare “No gay marriage”, “Save kids” and “Demo [democracy] dead”.
2. The manner in which they protest (stripping down, wearing masks, and even gagging themselves) has caught people’s attention.
3. According to Gay Star News, “It appears to be a parody of Femen, topless feminist protestors who rallied against Russian President Vladimir Putin.”
4. It’s difficult not to be distracted by the colorful pants, lack of shirts, and theatrical masks.
Mixed messages much?
Nope, this is not an invitation to a swanky masked-ball soirée.
6. Queerty couldn’t resist mixing Bruce Weber’s photography style from Abercrombie and Fitch Ads with some of the protest images:
7. A fake Tumblr was created to turn the colorful protests against themselves, claiming the group does in fact stand for equal rights.
The caption for this photo reads, “Pants of all colors and masks to expose our opponents and their homophobia that dare not speak its name.”
8. Apparently this mixed-signals display isn’t so uncommon in France.
Correct, this is not a picture from Pride.
9. Here another protest group stages a bizarre flash mob, complete with spandex and interpretive dance:
Behind this artistic performance is the pro-life organization, Alliance Vita. Flash mobs are meant to spread joy, not hate!
10. A particularly theatrical Les Hommen protest:
France is set to become the latest nation to legalize same-sex marriage today, despite vocal opposition from conservatives, when legislation goes before lawmakers in the lower house for a final vote.