1. The French National Assembly has finalized passage of the marriage equality bill with a vote of 331-225.
The National Assembly originally supported the bill 329-229 and the Senate passed it with a voice vote.
4. In the moments before the vote in France the Hashtag on twitter that was trending translated to: “Homosexuals Must Be Killed”:
Hashtag trending in France: “Homosexuals Must Be Killed” #IlFautTuerLesHomosexuels— JoeMyGod
#IlFautTuerLesHomosexuels J’laime se hashtag— LOGANITOO
#IlFautTuerLesHomosexuels Une extermination massive— C.H
#IlFautTuerLesHomosexuels #IlFautTuerLesHomosexuels #IlFautTuerLesHomosexuels #IlFautTuerLesHomosexuels #IlFautTuerLesHomosexuels— J’ai une grosse bite
8. For some tense moments during the vote order could not be maintained.
Shouts and jeering broke out:
10. The impending law has been a great source of division in the country, with bizarre protests and escalating violence.
Demonstrators hold anti gay marriage and French flags during a rally in Paris. The letters on the flags read “Demonstration for all”.
11. Police organized legions of officers and a small battery of water cannons at France’s National Assembly as lawmakers prepared for the final vote.
French CRS riot police form a line near the Invalides during a demonstration against France’s planned legalization of same-sex marriage in Paris.
People take cover from tear gas as they take part in a demonstration against France’s planned legalization of same-sex marriage in Paris earlier this week:
Protestors wear French Revolution Phrygian caps as they shout slogans and hold copies of the “Code Civil” (law texts) as they take part in the “Manif pour Tous” (Demonstration for All) protest march:
French police in riot gear stand guard as gay marriage opponents wave a French flag: