1. California State Assembly Speaker Toni G. Atkins makes history today as the first out LGBT person to serve as acting governor for the state.
2. What does that mean? For nine hours today, Atkins, a democrat representing the 78th District and communities of San Diego, runs this town — er, state.
3. San Diego Gay and Lesbian News pointed out the specific circumstances that gave California its first out lesbian governor:
1. Gov. Jerry Brown is in Mexico on a trade mission and to talk about immigration issues.
2. Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom is out of state attending Special Olympics.
3. Senate President Pro Tem Darrell Steinberg is in Chicago on business.
4. For Atkins, it’s a moment she doesn’t take lightly.
5. Her first official act? Walking her dogs, who are obviously handling the extra responsibility in stride.
6. So, until Gov. Brown returns in a few hours…
- Police confirmed 71 people, likely refugees who fled Syria, were found dead in a truck abandoned in Austria. The suspected drivers have been arrested. ›
- President Obama marked a decade of recovery after Hurricane Katrina, citing gains, but also the immense amount of work that he said still needs to be done. ›
- Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg said (on Faceboook, obviously) that one billion people used the service on Monday 🌐 ›