2. The 31-year-old Arsenal defender told the BBC she has been out to her family “from very early on” but closeted in nearly every other aspect of her life.
Stoney currently plays in the semi-professional Women’s Super League. In her experience, being gay is much more accepted in the women’s game than the men’s.
3. For nearly 10 years she was “living a lie,” even going so far as to create fake boyfriends.
5. She admitted the decision came only after years of working with a sports psychologist, but she now feels very comfortable in her own skin.
7. The former Olympic athlete hopes that her actions can help anyone who is struggling with their own identity.
8. Stoney added that she would not go to Russia or Qatar for the World Cup in 2018, due to the current anti-LGBT legislation. “I wouldn’t be accepted there,” she said.
9. She has reportedly been dating Lincoln teammate Megan Harris as of December.
11. Catch her full interview with the BBC here.
- Former Virginia Gov. Jim Gilmore is dropping out of the race for the Republican presidential nomination. He got 133 votes in New Hampshire.
- MLB issued its first-ever lifetime ban for performance enhancing drugs to New York Mets' Jenrry Mejia.
- And how well do you know what happened in the news this week? Take our quiz.