1. War Drags You Out is a photo series by artist Saint Hoax in which he takes the world’s most controversial leaders, past and present, and transforms them into drag queens.
2. The self-described “POPlitical artist” focuses much of his work on “rewriting history through visual lies.”
3. The inspiration to turn Saddam Hussein into “Madame O’ Sane” came shortly after the artist attended his very first drag performance.
4. Hoax realized the recipe for a great drag queen – fierce persona, defining outfits, and “one hell of a PR team” – was eerily similar to the makings of a powerful political figure.
President Vladimir Putin becomes Vladdy Pushin’.
5. Hoax writes on his website:
6. “A rush of images containing Hitler’s mustache, Bin laden’s headgear, Obama’s campaigns, Saddam’s [narcissism] crossed through my mind.”
Adolf Hitler becomes Hitleria Hysteria.
7. “It got me thinking that behind every ‘great’ man, there’s a queen.”
President Barack Obama becomes Baricka O’Bisha.
8. “Just like drag queens, political leaders are expected to entertain, perform and occasionally lip-sync a public speech.”
9. “But unlike drag queens, the fame hungry leaders don’t know when to take their costumes off.”
10. The most controversial image of the series is one depicting King Abdallah of Saudi Arabia as “Queen Abby”.
“Shame to you who post the picture, just want to say those who are trying to disgrace by posting this kind of unacceptable picture about King Abdullah, you should know that king abdullah is a model leader to the arab world,” wrote one user after the image was posted to Facebook.
11. You can see Saint Hoax’s complete collection here.
- The U.S. government is investigating possible unlawful coordination by some airlines to keep prices high ✈️
- Leaders of the U.S. Episcopal Church, which appointed an out gay bishop in 2003, have voted to let clergy perform religious same-sex marriages.
- The Women's World Cup final is set: Team USA and Japan will play on Sunday ⚽️