1. This was taken Friday night, at a game between the Bemidji State and Ohio State women’s hockey teams.
2. As soon as the game ended — Bemidji State won 3-2 — a massive fight broke out.
5. The fight was so massive in fact, that it broke NCAA records for any division or gender for penalty minutes and game disqualifications. There were 287 penalty minutes and 19 game disqualifications total.
6. Ohio State’s coach, Nate Handrahan, addressed the brawl during a post-game press conference.
7. He didn’t exactly clear up the cause of the epic scuffle, only saying it had something to do with the way Bemidji State was celebrating.
I’ve got to believe that our players, and as a staff, as a program, we’re not happy with teams celebrating on our ice surface and going off the ice yipping and hooting and hollering. What happened at the end of the game doesn’t happen often in women’s hockey…
But I can tell you this: We’re happy to at least see our girls show some fight and some spirit. Outside of that, I think hockey in general is trying to get that stuff out of the game. We have our own issues to deal with.
8. In other words: it was the other team’s fault, and we’d do it again. Hockey!
(h/t Digg Video)
- The Temple of Bel, an important ancient structure in the ISIS-held Syrian city of Palmyra, has been destroyed, the United Nations says. ›
- A white supremacist has been found guilty of capital murder in the shooting deaths of three people at two Jewish facilities in Kansas last year. ›
- The U.S. Supreme Court says a Kentucky county must issue marriage licenses while its clerk appeals a ruling in a lawsuit from three same-sex couples against her "no marriage licenses" policy. ›