1. Last Friday, rapper Danny Brown was performing on stage when a female fan pulled down his pants and performed oral sex on him.
Photo taken on April 13, 2013 in Indio, California.
2. Blurry photos and video have surfaced showing what appears to be the act, though obscured by the crowd.
4. Fans were quick to jump online and talk about the event.
5. Danny Brown himself got involved with some of the Twitter chatter, feeding into it.
6. But the real catalyst came when fellow rapper Kendrick Lamar tweeted about it.
7. Rapper and tourmate Kitty Pryde also posted about it on her blog.
8. Answering a concerned fan’s askbox message, she said the whole thing freaked her out.
thx bby i’m very rarely upset but right now i just feel really weird because i go out of my way to not see danny’s dick and tonight i had to and it freaked me out really bad and now people are like accusing me of shaming sluts when in reality im just confused because why are girls allowed to rip off boys pants
9. She also wrote about the controversy on Noisey, painting a picture of Danny Brown as a victim:
I’m mad that a person thought it was okay to pull another person’s pants down during their performance in front of about 700 other people. I’m mad that a person thought it was a good idea to perform a sex act on another person without their consent. I’m mad that nobody made her leave. I’m mad that Danny had to actually wonder what he was supposed to do at that point. I’m mad that when I went home and said I had no respect for that girl, I was attacked for being a “slut-shamer” (after literally leading a girl to his hotel room at 3AM at her request) and, even more outrageously, for being jealous of the girl who sucked his dick.
10. Gawker’s Rich Juzwiak, however, questions whether it was, in fact, unwanted:
However, instead of pushing or kicking, which Kitty Pryde posits were Brown’s only options, he could have merely stepped back if he weren’t into it. He could have turned away and not used this woman as a confirmation of his masculinity, because if Kitty Pryde is correct, this blowjob became transactional in nature.
11. Kitty Pryde does mention Danny Brown backing away, but it doesn’t line up exactly with how Danny Brown has acted online since the incident:
…Being naked in front of 1000 people is incredibly scary and there’s not much quick decision-making happening in your brain during that sort of thing… The girl was at mouth-to-dick level already and to push her away, he would’ve had to either pushed her face or kicked her… Guys pushing girls is not a good look when people are taking photos. So what was Danny supposed to do, other than back away, which he did?