1. Ricky Gervais this week started the #TextsWithGran hashtag to promote his new Netflix show Derek and asked people to send him some sage advice from their grandparents.
Text an elder asking “What’s the most important thing you learned in life?” Screenshot their response & tweet @BeLikeDerek. #TextsWithGran
2. The texts Gervais started getting back were incredible. Some were motivational…
â€œ@__PrincessDrew: #TextsWithGran #ExceptItsMyDad â€ < What Wonderful advice.
3. Others were honest…
@rickygervais from my wise dad :) #TextsWithGran
4. Very honest.
@rickygervais @BeLikeDerek God bless her. #TextsWithGran
5. OK, maybe TOO honest.
@rickygervais @BeLikeDerek hahaha this is a beaut #TextsWithGran
6. Others wonderfully practical…
@rickygervais @BeLikeDerek Bit behind everyone else because my dad took about 12 hours to reply haha. #TextsWithGran
7. Some were super responsible.
@BeLikeDerek @rickygervais #TextsWithGran I went to my Pop.
8. Oh, and of course, some shared real universal truths like the fact your mother knows best.
â€œ@mcbroomifer: Elder wisdom is a big deal in our family. #TextsWithGran @BeLikeDerek â€ < This is beautiful.
9. Or that children are pretty great.
@rickygervais both my grannys have died so I asked mum.. aww, she’s a great gran also #TextsWithGran
10. Some offered simple tricks like being tolerant.
@rickygervais @BeLikeDerek Took her a day to respond but a great piece of advice! #TextsWithGran #BeLikeDerek
11. Or this whopping three-parter of grandmotherly wisdom.
Toni D L
@rickygervais I have such a smart Grandma! & her name is even Joan :) #TextsWithGran @BeLikeDerek
12. Or this excellent double whammy secret to happiness.
13. Or that maybe when you’re older you’ll realize you haven’t learned anything at all.
My nanna scuds <3 @rickygervais @BeLikeDerek #textswithgran
14. Or, uh, this…
@BeLikeDerek #TextsWithGran i know it’s not my gran but…
15. Although, if you ask me, this one probably sums them all up pretty well:
hazel levesque tbh â˜†
@BeLikeDerek @rickygervais #TextsWithGran my nan is very sentimental ;)
- More than a dozen people were killed after severe storms and flooding swept through the French Riviera on Saturday evening. ›
- Pope Francis has opened a three-week synod where bishops will discuss family issues. This comes a day after the Vatican fired a high-ranking priest who came out as gay. ›
- President Obama says the U.S. has launched a full investigation into the airstrikes that killed 19 people at a hospital in Afghanistan on Saturday. ›