1. The beginning of Naki’o’s story is a pretty sad one. He lost his paws and the tip of his tail to frostbite when he was a puppy.
2. He was abandoned in a foreclosed home in Nebraska and was found frozen into a puddle of ice water.
3. He lost his paws, but they healed into stumps and thanks to veterinarian assistant Christie Pace of Colorado Springs, Colorado, a fundraiser was started to get him a brand new set of paws.
4. Which most importantly, would allow him to run and play with other dogs again.
5. Pace adopted Naki’o and set up a fundraiser to get Naki’o his new paws, but amazingly, the company that built them ended up doing it free of charge!
6. Naki’o quickly adapted to walking on his new legs, and after only a few days he was running like they were part of him.
7. Prosthetics for dogs have come a long way but still aren’t cheap unfortunately, costing up to $3,000.
8. And here’s a video of Naki’o running and playing in the yard.
- Speaking of climate change, can you pass this basic quiz about it? ›