1. During a tribute to the conflicts in Ferguson, Mo., MTV’s audience cam cut to the Kardashians.
listening to words about #Ferguson #VMAs
— doreeshafrir (@Doree Shafrir)
2. And let’s just say people weren’t thrilled.
Kendall Jenner could literally care less about social change
— rachelzarrell (@Rachel Zarrell)
3. It appeared that Kim, Kylie, and Kendall Kardashian talked amongst themselves, texted, and looked generally bored while presenter Common asked the audience to take a moment of silence for Mike Brown.
peak Kardashian moment
— tabooradley (@Tabir Akhter)
4. And then the jokes started…
"Who is Ferguson??" - Kim Kardashian
— jillflauto (@Jill Flauto)
I would pay TOP DOLLAR to see Kim Kardashian point out Ferguson on a map.
— Kidd_Codi (@Kid Codi)
The Kardashian sisters just had to Google what #Ferguson is. #MTVVMAs2014
— awards_watch (@AwardsWatch)
Kim kardashian in there like, "Whose Ferguson?"
— Octobersvry0wn (@Laundo ™)
Kylie Jenner on her phone while they talk about Ferguson awh :-) so sweet :-)
— cianabanana (@Snoop Lion)
they're talking about FERGUSON and Kylie fucking Jenner is on her phone. No bitch. put it away. smh
— contra_holiday (@JP)
10. BuzzFeed has reached out to MTV to confirm that the footage of the Kardashians texting happened during the moment of silence and wasn’t on a delay and shown by mistake.