1. The new policy passed last week will allow students to refer to themselves with gender neutral pronouns “xe, xem, and xyr.”
2. This decision comes after an ongoing debate in the Vancouver school system over how to make local schools safer for transgender students.
3. The school board already allows students to be addressed by their preferred name and pronoun.
4. During the meetings leading up to the decision, many outraged parents attacked the plan. Some parents insisted that medical professionals should be a part of the decision.
5. The school board has acknowledged that the policy will only probably affect a small minority of students, but is important in making all students feel included.
6. The policy will also allow students to use a genderless washroom, as well, if they so choose.
Ryan Broderick is a reporter for BuzzFeed News and is based in London.
Contact Ryan Broderick at email@example.com.
Here Are The Top Stories