Taylor Swift may be best known for writing songs that portray her as a wholesome, virginal sweetheart who is victimized by sexualized, boyfriend-stealing “other women.” Within this, there has been increasing critical discussion of the role gender-based stereotypes play in her music.
3. This Her Campus article sums up the issue neatly:
“Part of Taylor Swift’s shtick is to slut-shame in her lyrics. In ‘Better Than Revenge’, she takes a swipe at a girl who apparently stole her boyfriend, ‘She’s an actress/But she’s better known for the things that she does on the mattress.’ The Queen of Wholesome often employs guilt-mongering tactics to put down the mean girl/cheerleader types who, she assures us, are more sexual than her.”
4. Tumblr users have also noticed that Swift’s lyrics frequently villify the sexuality of other women, as in this post by Sherlocks:
“As shown through her songs that feature comments about ‘the other woman’ this other woman is always sexually available, dresses provocatively, and is DEFINITELY NOT A VIRGIN. Because obviously, a woman’s worth is based purely on the amount of sex she has had.”
5. Sady Doyle, for the feminist magazine Bitch, says Taylor Swift organizes the women in her music into two camps:
“Teen Girls of America, here are your choices: have sex and wind up broken and sad and feeling as if you’ve lost ‘everything you had,’ or wait until your untouched vagina accumulates enough charge to make you rich and famous. Because your sexuality should never be an end in and of itself; it should be something you strategically employ to get what you want.”
7. Here’s every song Taylor Swift has written about having a romantic rival:
“Teardrops on My Guitar”
I’ll bet she’s beautiful, that girl he talks about
And she’s got everything that I have to live without
She better hold him tight, give him all her love
Look in those beautiful eyes and know she’s lucky ‘cause
“Should’ve Said No”
I can’t resist
Before you go tell me this:
Was it worth it?
Was she worth this?
You should’ve known that word, with what you did with her
Get back to me… (get back to me)
She can’t see the way your eyes
Light up when you smile.
She’ll never notice how you stop and stare
Whenever she walks by.
She don’t even know you,
She’s never gonna love you like I want to.
She’s never gonna see the light
No matter what you do.
She don’t even know you.
Baby, let me love you,
She can’t see the way your eyes
Light up when you smile.
“The Other Side of the Door”
And I broke down crying, was she worth this mess?
After everything and that little black dress
“You Belong with Me”
You’re on the phone with your girlfriend ‒ she’s upset,
She’s going off about something that you said
‘Cause she doesn’t get your humor like I do.
I’m in the room ‒ it’s a typical Tuesday night.
I’m listening to the kind of music she doesn’t like.
She’ll never know your story like I do.
But she wears short skirts
I wear t-shirts
She’s cheer captain
And I’m on the bleachers
Dreaming about the day when you wake up and find
That what you’re looking for has been here the whole time.
I sneak in and see your friends
And her snotty little family all dressed in pastel
And she is yelling at a bridesmaid
Somewhere back inside a room
Wearing a gown shaped like a pastry
She floats down the aisle like a pageant queen
But I know you wish it was me,
“Better Than Revenge”
She came along, got him alone and let’s hear the applause
She took him faster than you could say “sabotage”
I never saw it coming, wouldn’t have suspected it
I underestimated just who I was dealing with
She had to know the pain was beating on me like a drum
She underestimated just who she was stealing from
She’s not a saint
And she’s not what you think
She’s an actress, whoa
She’s better known
For the things that she does
On the mattress, whoa
Soon she’s gonna find
Stealing other people’s toys
On the playground won’t
Make you many friends
She should keep in mind
She should keep in mind
There is nothing I do better than revenge
She looks at life like it’s a party and she’s on the list
She looks at me like I’m a trend and she’s so over it
I think her ever-present frown is a little troubling
And she thinks I’m psycho ‘cause I like to rhyme her name with things
“I Knew You Were Trouble”
And the saddest fear comes creeping in
That you never loved me or her, or anyone, or anything, yeah
17. The “other woman”-as-enemy trope is visually represented in many of Swift’s music videos, as well. Tumblr user Sexistculture points out the recurrence of villains played by evil brunettes:
Taylor Swift the Product (who I’m sure varies a great deal from Taylor Swift the Person) strikes again with “Mine” which will no doubt be played 12 times an hour on every friggin’ station from now until the next time she comes out with another single about being pure and innocent while wanting a boy who is an angelic being filled with light and winning his heart from the evil girl who wears colors and probably fucks.
Seven out of 15 of Taylor Swift’s music videos feature brunette bad girls who use their feminine wiles to steal Taylor’s Prince Charming. And what’s even weirder is that sometimes, the “other woman” in a video isn’t even mentioned in the accompanying song’s lyrics.
19. “The Story of Us” — A brunette makes out with a guy in the library, unrelated to anything else in the video.
20. “Teardrops on My Guitar” — The boy Taylor likes makes out with a brunette in the hallway.
21. “Picture to Burn” — The boy Taylor likes is now dating an edgy-looking brunette.
22. “White Horse” — The woman who tells Taylor about her boyfriend cheating is a dark-haired girl who is later implied in the video to be the “other woman.”
23. “We Are Never Ever Ever Getting Back Together” — Taylor’s boyfriend is being groped by a brunette at a bar.
24. “You Belong With Me” — The mean, popular girl is played by Taylor Swift in a black wig.
25. “I Knew You Were Trouble” — There’s a montage of Taylor’s boyfriend making out with dark-haired girls in a nightclub.
It’s important to note that Swift doesn’t think of herself as a feminist. When asked whether she considers her music empowering to women in an interview with Ramin Setoodeh of The Daily Beast, she said this:
“When people say things about me empowering women, that’s an amazing compliment. It’s not necessarily what I thought I was doing, because I write songs about what I feel. I think there’s strength when you’re baring your emotions.”
In a follow-up question, Setoodeh asked whether Swift thought of herself as a feminist. This was her answer:
“I don’t really think about things as guys versus girls. I never have. I was raised by parents who brought me up to think if you work as hard as guys, you can go far in life.”
27. Swift might not think of her songs as “guys versus girls,” but many of her songs make much of “girls versus girls.” And that’s much of the source of the backlash against a singer who actively presents herself as a role model for young women.
I don’t even listen to her music, but I think it’s pretty obvious Taylor Swift doesn’t hate all other women. You dont have to be a fan of her music but I’m really tired about hearing all this hate towards her. Now you’re just trying to piece together small parts of her songs and videos to portray her as this malicious, terrible person. This article is so hypocritical to read it literally hurt me trying to get through it. Did you ever stop to think maybe the “other girl” in her music videos were brunette for cinematic affect to make it more obvious it wasn’t Taylor? Stop trying to get offended by everything this pop star does and write something that matters and isn’t a complete waste of my time.
Of course they make them brunettes so they don’t look like Taylor. But haven’t they ever heard of redheads? Or having super-short hair? Or long, straight hair (as opposed to Taylor’s medium, wavy hair)? Or having them be very different physically? This whole “Taylor’s blonde, let’s make the other girl a brunette” thing is too obvious and kind of feels like cheating. Let’s see some diversity, for pete’s sakes.
- chasityc thinks Does Taylor Swift Hate Other Women? is Win
- SouthernSouthpaw Does Taylor Swift Hate Other Women? and thinks it’s Win
- micaelal thinks Does Taylor Swift Hate Other Women? is Win
- MrSwearword Does Taylor Swift Hate Other Women? and thinks it’s Win
- jessm8 thinks Does Taylor Swift Hate Other Women? is Cool Story Bro
- maryc18 thinks Does Taylor Swift Hate Other Women? is Win
There is a part of me that still admires the fact that this girl writes and performs her own music. Although it may not be “amazing” musically or lyric wise, that is still pretty impressive. Honestly, I don’t know what her deal is. Don’t really care because it doesn’t have any bearing on my life whatsoever. But if she can make one little girl want to learn how to play guitar and write, I think that’s pretty cool. I don’t think she is a slut, considering a good majority of the guys she dated….did the SAME THING. John Mayer, hello, looking at you. Same with Joe Jonas. No biggie when they do it, but when Taylor does, she’s a slut? Nice.
i don’t think anyone is calling taylor a slut here (or at least not in this article). what they are saying is that she’s a slut shamer. she is calling these girls out for doing exactly what she does. she switches boyfriends constantly yet she still tries to act as if she’s innocent by writing songs about these men and the women who might have drove them apart. she has no right to constantly berate other women who might be comfortable in their sexuality when she is doing the exact same thing.
- StephieOcelot Does Taylor Swift Hate Other Women? and thinks it’s LOL
- healthypunk Does Taylor Swift Hate Other Women?
- denisek Does Taylor Swift Hate Other Women?
- jimmym9 thinks Does Taylor Swift Hate Other Women? is Ew, Fail & LOL
“funny”, most comments on this article are slut-shaming taylor, or are about her looks. written by girls. hm.
- lauraarayata thinks Does Taylor Swift Hate Other Women? is Win & LOL
- Chandler Katz thinks Does Taylor Swift Hate Other Women? is Win
- Kyna Fairge thinks Does Taylor Swift Hate Other Women? is WTF
- alexl30 thinks Does Taylor Swift Hate Other Women? is Win
- shannern Does Taylor Swift Hate Other Women?
- Doom's Bride thinks Does Taylor Swift Hate Other Women? is Win
- meowkittykitty Does Taylor Swift Hate Other Women?
- Shinythings thinks Does Taylor Swift Hate Other Women? is WTF & Fail
- lauramweissl thinks Does Taylor Swift Hate Other Women? is WTF
- katx thinks Does Taylor Swift Hate Other Women? is LOL
- danielflamingo thinks Does Taylor Swift Hate Other Women? is Win
- meturlington Does Taylor Swift Hate Other Women?
- kwolffie Does Taylor Swift Hate Other Women? and thinks it’s LOL & Win
- beerchen Does Taylor Swift Hate Other Women?
- Danielliea Does Taylor Swift Hate Other Women?
- jasons70 Does Taylor Swift Hate Other Women?
- Tara Grieser thinks Does Taylor Swift Hate Other Women? is Win
I can’t stand her!! And I’m glad to hear I’m not the only one to feel this way! She needs to close her mouth… and her legs.
- YasminaLayla Does Taylor Swift Hate Other Women? and thinks it’s Win & LOL
- ChiChiMcmittens thinks Does Taylor Swift Hate Other Women? is LOL & Win
- zoombeanie7 Does Taylor Swift Hate Other Women?
- PartyPoison723 thinks Does Taylor Swift Hate Other Women? is Win
- Rebecca E. Does Taylor Swift Hate Other Women? and thinks it’s Win
- Lilillama thinks Does Taylor Swift Hate Other Women? is LOL
- ibeawicked1 thinks Does Taylor Swift Hate Other Women? is Win
- josiahc thinks Does Taylor Swift Hate Other Women? is Win
- Dorsey Shaw Does Taylor Swift Hate Other Women? and thinks it’s Win & LOL
- Butta1120 thinks Does Taylor Swift Hate Other Women? is Win
- A02 added Don't Stop Me Now to the mix about 5 months ago
- danielflamingo added OMG to the mix about 5 months ago
If anyone’s a slut it’s her. She got a new man damn near every month!
- Does Taylor Swift Hate Other Women? was rebuzzed by lkh7
- Matthew Perpetua thinks Does Taylor Swift Hate Other Women? is Win
She does, but she looks like a rich rat. Yes, maybe she is the problem in those relationships!!!!
- Macey J Foronda thinks Does Taylor Swift Hate Other Women? is Win
- marcim3 added Whoomp! (There It Is) to the mix about 5 months ago
- nickb29 thinks Does Taylor Swift Hate Other Women? is LOL
- lizpride Does Taylor Swift Hate Other Women?
- pbayuk thinks Does Taylor Swift Hate Other Women? is LOL
- Javi O. thinks Does Taylor Swift Hate Other Women? is Win