1. Timothy Phares, employee at a Rice Lake, Wisconsin Applebee’s, took this photo while he was in the hospital after the attack that took place two weeks ago.
2. According to The Wisconsin Gazette, Phares was attacked in a Perkins parking lot by his co-worker’s husband:
“(Hendricks) was getting out of his vehicle, and he said, ‘Fucking faggot, I’m going to kill you,’” Phares said.
At that point Phares said Hendricks struck him in the head with great force using a 2 × 4 piece of lumber. In a written statement, Krista katherine said she heard her brother’s head smack the pavement, but Tim Phares lost consciousness and doesn’t remember anything else before waking up in the hospital.
Phares suffered head and facial abrasions as well as multiple facial fractures that will ultimately require surgery to implant metal plates, he said.
Phares said the reason behind the assault is a mystery to him…
3. Phares told the Wisconsin Gazette that originally he was asked not to return to work at Applebee’s by his local management due to bad publicity surrounding the attack.
4. He has since returned to work after Greg Flynn, CEO of Apple American Group franchise (pictured below), intervened.
5. Phares returning to work, however, hasn’t stopped the social media meltdown that’s happening on the Applebee’s Facebook page.
6. The Applebee’s social media team tried to answer many of the irate users, pointing them towards a statement they released via Facebook note.
7. The statement reads:
Applebee’s and its franchisee, Apple American Group, do not tolerate discrimination of any sort. We are aware of this horrible situation, which did not take place in or near an Applebee’s restaurant, and Apple American Group has communicated directly with the Team Member to assure him that his personal welfare and safety is a top concern. This matter will continue to be reviewed internally, and Apple American Group will cooperate with local law enforcement to provide them with any information they need to complete their investigation”