1. This is Day Above Ground, an American rock band.
2. And they just released a music video for their song “Asian Girlz.”
3. The video was originally released with the following disclaimer:
5. So, despite their emphatic “WE ARE NOT RACIST, HAHA!” the racism kicks in literally 3 seconds into the video, when they use this font:
And it is accompanied by the Oriental Riff, made iconic in American culture by the song “Kung-Fu Fighting.”
6. The premise of the video: An all-male American band is inside a cage, watching an Asian woman strip outside of it.
7. At the 4 minute mark, the lyrics literally just devolve into a list of stereotypes.
8. Predictably, the video got a lot of criticism very fast.
9. So Day Above Ground re-released it, with this description:
10. “We do not promote or support racism…” Really?
- The U.S. airstrike on a Doctors Without Borders hospital that killed at least 30 people last month happened as a "direct result of avoidable human error," the Pentagon said. ›
- Five people were arrested as protesters gathered in Chicago after the release of a video of the fatal shooting of 17-year-old Laquan McDonald. ›
- Pope Francis arrived in Kenya. It's his first visit to Africa as pontiff. ›