1. This is Archy Marshall, aka King Krule. He’s only 19 years old, but he’s one of the best young musicians in all of England.
2. He looks kinda like an emaciated Ron Weasley, sure, but listen to him sing. Here he is performing his song “Portrait in Black and Blue.”
3. It’s sorta amazing to see someone so young sound so rugged and weathered, like a more thuggish version of Joe Strummer from The Clash. Here he is performing “The Noose of Jah City” at the Pitchfork festival in Chicago last summer.
4. His songwriting and guitar playing is ridiculously mature too, channeling elements of new wave, jazz, dub, reggae, and hip-hop. Here’s the A-side of his most recent single, “Rock Bottom.”
5. Marshall made his debut back in 2010 with this video for his song “Out Getting Ribs.” Back then, he was called Zoo Kid. The video went viral, mainly because people could barely believe this gawky kid could sing like THAT.
6. Marshall has only released a handful of songs to date. He’s featured on two songs on the British electronic duo Mount Kimbie’s new album. Here’s one of those songs, “You Took Your Time.” You can hear a lot of rap and dub reggae influence on this one.
In The News Today
- A Kentucky clerk continues to defy the Supreme Court by denying marriage licenses to same-sex couples. ›
- McDonald's all-day breakfast is happening: It's coming to the U.S. on Oct. 6. The company started testing it this year 🍳 ›
- Google introduced a redesigned logo. It's the biggest change to the logo since 1999. ›