1. Jean-Michel Basquiat was one of the great artists of the 20th century – he started off as an influential graffiti artist, but became established in the art world in the years before his untimely death at the age of 27 in 1988.
2. His work is instantly recognizable. You’ve almost definitely seen it at some point.
3. Christies Auction House has been releasing a series of documentary clips about Basquiat’s life, art, and lasting influence. Here’s the first part, about his early days.
4. In this clip, his peers reflect on his process as an artist.
5. And in this new clip, Macklemore explains how Basquiat changed his approach to art, and raps a verse about him from his song “Ten Thousand Hours.”
6. Macklemore isn’t the only musician who has found inspiration in Basquiat’s art. Here’s a chart connecting Basquiat to his influences, and the artists he’s inspired.
- And watch a man react to the modern world after spending 44 years in prison. ›