1. Awesome Mix Vol. 1, the soundtrack to Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy soundtrack, is the No. 1 album in the United States. As anyone who’s seen the movie knows, it’s full of amazing ’70s pop gems.
2. One of the best songs on the mix is 10cc’s 1975 smash “I’m Not In Love,” which is used at the very beginning of the film. It’s a gorgeous, emotional song, but it’s also a major breakthrough in studio engineering.
3. The atmospheric quality of the song was created through a painstaking process of sampling and layering vocal parts, and arranging them carefully on tape. They essentially used their studio mixing console like a sampler, years before they existed.
4. This audio documentary from 2009 tells the story of how the band created this distinctive sound by using many audio techniques that are now common for the very first time.
The amazing thing about this documentary is that they take the track apart, and allow you to hear individual parts of the song in isolation. They also unearth a lead vocal part that was removed from the bridge section.
5. And that’s why nothing else in the world sounds quite like “I’m Not In Love.”
- At least 30 people were killed in twin bomb blasts during a peace rally near the main train station in Turkey's capital. ›
- President Obama visited Oregon to meet with victims' families after last week's deadly campus shooting. Gun-rights activists protested his visit. ›
- The U.S. ended its $500 million program that trains and equips Syrian rebels in their fight against ISIS. ›