1. Madonna shocked fans Friday by posting a photo of her 13-year-old son, Rocco Ritchie, on Instagram with the hashtag “#disnigga.”
“No one messes with Dirty Soap! Mama said knock you out! #disnigga”
2. Moments later, she deleted the post and lashed out at critics who questioned her use of the word.
“Ok let me start this again. #get off my dick haters!”
3. While some fans defended Madonna, others voiced their disgust over her use of the word.
4. Update: Jan. 18, 2:15 p.m., ET: Madonna issued an apology to the Associated Press for the racial slur on her Instagram.
“I am sorry if I offended anyone with my use of the N word on Instagram. It was not meant as a racial slur. I am not a racist. There’s no way to defend the use of the word. It was all about intention,” she said. “It was used as a term of endearment toward my son who is white. I appreciate that it’s a provocative word and I apologize if it gave people the wrong impression.”
- Robert L. Dear was identified as the suspected gunman in a fatal shooting at a Planned Parenthood in Colorado Springs. ›
- World leaders will meet in Paris starting Monday to discuss a potential global climate change agreement. Here's what you need to know. ›
- Speaking of climate change, can you pass this basic quiz about it? ›