2. 19 years old and born in South Africa, she was raised in Chicago. After clocking some 180,000 YouTube subscribers on the strength of her cover songs, she’s signed a deal with All Def Digital and Capitol Records.
3. She’ll release her debut EP with the label, Bad Intentions, on September 23.
4. Heaton doesn’t just sing covers. Here’s “Sober,” a new original song, which is premiering today on BuzzFeed:
“I wrote this song about my own personal pain regarding drug and alcohol abuse,” Heaton said. The song, which will appear on her EP, is “about witnessing the pain behind addiction and not being able to change it. It’s about the torment and suffering that not only surrounds the addict, but all those affected by the aftermath. Sometimes love is not enough to save someone.”
5. Here’s “Bad Intentions,” the title track from Heaton’s EP:
6. And here’s her first big YouTube hit, a 2012 acoustic cover of Chief Keef’s “Love Sosa”:
- Robert L. Dear was identified as the suspected gunman in a fatal shooting at a Planned Parenthood in Colorado Springs. ›
- World leaders will meet in Paris starting Monday to discuss a potential global climate change agreement. Here's what you need to know. ›
- And how well do you know what happened in the news this week? Take our quiz. ›