2. 19 years old and born in South Africa, she was raised in Chicago. After clocking some 180,000 YouTube subscribers on the strength of her cover songs, she’s signed a deal with All Def Digital and Capitol Records.
3. She’ll release her debut EP with the label, Bad Intentions, on September 23.
4. Heaton doesn’t just sing covers. Here’s “Sober,” a new original song, which is premiering today on BuzzFeed:
“I wrote this song about my own personal pain regarding drug and alcohol abuse,” Heaton said. The song, which will appear on her EP, is “about witnessing the pain behind addiction and not being able to change it. It’s about the torment and suffering that not only surrounds the addict, but all those affected by the aftermath. Sometimes love is not enough to save someone.”
5. Here’s “Bad Intentions,” the title track from Heaton’s EP:
6. And here’s her first big YouTube hit, a 2012 acoustic cover of Chief Keef’s “Love Sosa”:
- The main suspect in last month's bombing of Bangkok's Erawan shrine has been arrested, Thailand's prime minister says. ›
- Hundreds of people have arrived by train to Austria from Hungary on Monday, as European Union asylum rules collapsed under the escalating migration crisis. ›
- A video released on Monday shows two Texas deputies fatally shooting a man with his hands up. A witness sold the footage to a local TV station for $100. ›