1. Duck Sauce, the festival-dominating, goof-off electronic duo comprised of turntable prodigy A-Trak and NY house producer Armand Van Helden, released its debut album Quack this month.
2. Quack single “NRG” throws a larger-than-life female vocal sample over beefy guitar riffs and bass claps, like a stoner looking to party might throw peanut butter on a potato chip.
Not that serious and a lot of fun, it’s a pretty good introduction to what Duck Sauce are all about.
3. Check out the video for “NRG,” debuting right here:
The whole thing is an amazing fake infomercial for a fake “everything gel,” hosted by Kroll Show comedian Jon Daly.
4. “NRG” gel can supposedly cure cramps, fix relationships, and make you a better dancer.
5. As silly as this video is, the way “NRG” came together is actually kind of rigorous.
“Every song on Quack has a sample and it can take months to clear them,” A-Trak explained. After spending lots of time working on their record, the Duck Sauce team still felt the album needed one more song, so they started hunting for a perfect sample. “You’re searching for these missed opportunities, these hidden gems that, for some reason, didn’t get their shine,” said A-Trak.
6. They scoured their own record collections and asked friends, but ultimately found what they were looking for on a YouTube binge. Melissa Manchester’s awesomely hairsprayed 1985 song, “Energy”:
7. So, go ahead, feel the power.
8. You deserve it.
- Greece will decide on Sunday whether they will accept austerity measures as a condition of a bailout that may stave off an imminent financial and economic crisis.
- Some 150 migrants stranded in the French city of Calais stormed the Channel Tunnel in an attempt to make it to British territory.
- It took a while, but an English national soccer team has finally defeated Germany in a major tournament. England took third place with a 1-0 win over the top-ranked German team in the FIFA Women's World Cup ⚽️
- Chile defeated Argentina on penalties to win the Copa America tournament. It's the first ever trophy for Chile in the 99 years of the Copa ⚽️