Ab-Soul’s got a lot on his mind.
The Top Dawg Entertainment roster — Kendrick Lamar, Schoolboy Q, Jay Rock, Ab-Soul, plus new signees Isaiah Rashad and SZA — is full of brainiacs, but among them, Ab-Soul is the smart and spiritual black sheep.
On his bravely emotional 2012 album, he detailed his battle with a debilitating skin disease and mourned the death of his partner. On its follow-up, released last week, he’s playful, spiraling though stories about cops, drugs, and the Illuminati, recruiting witnesses to verify his dreams. He’s also agitated, sometimes literally — the album ends with a 20-minute rap battle.
During a late June visit to New York, Soul shared some theoretical possibilities that might blow your mind.
He didn’t dwell on proving each theory’s potential. “If you’re into that, you can dig into that,” he said, with a wizardish smile.
1. The president is not actually the president.
“I have reason to believe that the guy who delivers the oath for the president to recite at the presidential inauguration — I think his boss is the real president. Somebody’s paying him to get this guy inaugurated.”
2. Fluoride calcifies the pineal gland.
“The pineal gland excretes melatonin, which helps regulate your dreams during REM sleep. Fluoride calcifies the pineal gland. Fluoride is found in toothpaste, something that you need to use every time you eat. It is also found in tap water,” Soul said. “I brush my teeth with Tom’s non-fluoride toothpaste.”
3. Spelling is a spell.
“Ad-vert-is-ment. Pro-agenda. Hell-o. You greet people with hell,” Ab-Soul said. “Be aware of spelling. You gotta think — language is self. Language is a survival tactic.”
4. “Minority” is a disingenuous concept.
“What race of people do you hear referred to as minorities? Non-white people, blacks, and hispanics. The ‘minorities.’ But they’re not in the minority.”
5. The word “racism” is a tool for injustice.
“Racism is not an emotion. It’s not a feeling. It’s not a prejudice. Racism is a race, like a running race. Racism is a word created to describe this race for supremacy. It’s a tool used to keep people in separate cars.”
6. UFOs have been identified.
“UFOs: Unidentified Flying Objects, plural. I think they’ve been identified. We have a lot of reason to believe that NASA or the space intelligence is confidential. A lot of the pictures that you see have been photoshopped. If you’re into that, you can dig into that.”
- President Obama said that he was "deeply disturbed" by the video showing the police shooting of black teenager Laquan McDonald in Chicago. ›
- Frank Gifford's family says the NFL star had CTE, the degenerative brain disease linked to football. He died in August. ›
- And President Obama actually made his daughters laugh at the annual White House turkey pardon. ›