1. Healthy food can cost up to 10 times as much as junk food.
According to a study from the University of Washington, the rift between healthy grub and junk food is wider than it’s ever been. Researchers were able to buy 2,000 calories of junk food for $3.52 — that’s an entire day’s caloric intake — where nutritious foods cost them a whopping $36 for the same 2,000 calories.
2. We produce enough food to feed everyone on the planet. And then some.
The global population is projected to reach 10 billion people in the not-so-distant year of 2050. But you know what’s crazy? Food production rates have increased faster than the global population. That means we already can feed 10 billion people.
3. That means we could supply more than 2,700 calories to every person on earth. Every day.
That’s breakfast, lunch, dinner, and a bedtime snack.
4. In the last few decades, soda prices have gone down 33%, but fresh fruit prices have gone up 40%.
5. Approximately 2.3 million Americans live in rural areas that are more than a mile from a grocery store, and have no access to a vehicle.
These are called “food deserts,” and 2.2 percent of all U.S. households find themselves with limited access to fresh groceries.
6. Predominantly white neighborhoods have an average of four times as many supermarkets as black or Hispanic neighborhoods.
With few other options to feed their families, citizens living in food deserts turn to fast food restaurants for meals.
7. 50.1 million Americans struggle to put food on the table.
A direct result of inequality and poverty, not, as noted above, scarcity.
8. Americans throw out 40 percent of their food every year.
That’s 20 pounds of food every month, and $165 billion worth of food a year.
9. There are more than 6,500 food deserts in the U.S. alone.
10. 14.5% of American households have experienced food insecurity at one time.
That means they didn’t have dependable access to enough food, nutritious or otherwise, to sustain a healthy life.
1: spirobolos, calamity_sal, greggavedon.com, la-citta-vita
2: Wikimedia Commons, janetbeasley, Wikimedia Commons, pizzodisevo
3: zozo2k3, meeboo, Wikimedia Commons, neilspicys
4: ginnerobot, sodaniechea, horaceko, np&djjewell
5: Wikimedia Commons, lazylikewally, wasav, fanofretail
6: coolinsights, coolinsights, Jon Bunting, hllewellyn
7: quinnanya, zabowski, quinnanya, quinndombrowski
8: gustavthree, xerostomia, kthypryn, kevinkrejci
9: fanofretail, chicagogeek, jeffschwartz, runran
10: ndanger/40248843, ndanger, globalx, magnus_d