13. That time Nirvana tore it up during their “Lithium” performance in 1992.
Krist Novoselic threw his bass into the air, hitting himself in the head. Kurt Cobain smashed his guitar into an amp, and Dave Grohl egged on Axl Rose.
How wonderfully 90s.
12. When Fiona Apple ranted during her 1997 VMA acceptance speech.
She looked great though!
11. When Courtney Love interrupted Madonna’s interview with Kurt Loder at the 1995 VMA pre-show.
It all started when Courtney Love threw her compact at Madonna’s head.
10. When Michael Jackson kissed Lisa Marie Presley on stage at the 1994 VMAs.
9. Eninem’s 2000 VMA performance with hundreds of Slim Shadys.
Who IS the real Slim Shady?
8. When Britney Spears performed “I’m A Slave 4 U” with a snake at the 2001 VMAs.
And it was so so good.
7. When Janet Jackson did a dance tribute for her brother at the 2009 VMAs.
And even Beyoncé went nuts.
Everyone FREAKED OUT.
6. And all of Lady Gaga’s VMA looks, of course.
5. That moment at the 1999 VMAs when Diana Ross felt up Lil’ Kim.
4. When Beyoncé revealed her baby bump at the 2011 VMAs.
It was magical.
3. That time Britney and Madonna kissed at the 2003 VMAs.
Justin was NOT pleased.
2. That time when Kayne West interrupted Taylor Swift at the 2009 VMAs.
And the famous words, “Imma let you finish…” were said.
It’s still painful to watch.
1. Madonna’s “Like A Virgin” performance at the very first VMAs in 1984.
This was the first time that a performer humped the stage at the VMAs.
Be sure to tune-in to the 2013 VMAs on Sunday August 25th at 9/8c, only on MTV!