By a vote of 51 to 13, Rhode Island’s marriage equality bill passed their state House of Representatives on Thursday. The bill now faces an uncertain future in the State Senate.
Seventy-year-old Ken Fish from Warwick, Rhode Island, told Time magazine:
“I wanted to be here to see it. Go back 10 years, even five years, and I wasn’t sure we’d ever get here. We’re not done yet, but this is a big one.”
4. You can see video of some testimony and the passage here:
5. And here’s a pretty great picture of Rhode Island State Rep. Frank Ferri and his partner (in the lower left) giving high fives to Wendy Baker and Judy McDonnell after the vote.
This picture is actually from when the bill was unanimously passed in the State House Committee.
- U.S. presidential candidates are making their final pitches before the New Hampshire primary, the second voting contest of the nominating season 🇺🇸
- At least four people are dead and 100 others injured after two trains collided in Bavaria, Germany, local police say.
- The Pentagon has confirmed that North Korea successfully launched a satellite into orbit on Sunday night.