By a vote of 51 to 13, Rhode Island’s marriage equality bill passed their state House of Representatives on Thursday. The bill now faces an uncertain future in the State Senate.
Seventy-year-old Ken Fish from Warwick, Rhode Island, told Time magazine:
“I wanted to be here to see it. Go back 10 years, even five years, and I wasn’t sure we’d ever get here. We’re not done yet, but this is a big one.”
4. You can see video of some testimony and the passage here:
5. And here’s a pretty great picture of Rhode Island State Rep. Frank Ferri and his partner (in the lower left) giving high fives to Wendy Baker and Judy McDonnell after the vote.
This picture is actually from when the bill was unanimously passed in the State House Committee.
- The family of Sandra Bland, who died in a Texas jail cell in July three days after she was detained during a traffic stop, filed a wrongful death lawsuit in federal court.
- Migrant deaths in the Mediterranean have exceeded 2,000, making 2015 the deadliest year for people trying to reach Europe, according to the International Organization for Migration.
- Rapper 50 Cent may claim he's broke, but court records filed in his bankruptcy case show he has $10 million in various bank accounts.