1. Step 1: Blame yourself.
2. Step 2: Realize gay marriage is inevitable. Statistics show people’s views are rapidly changing on the issue.
3. Step 3: Imagine how stupid you’ll look in 40 years.
5. Step 4: Listen to Louis CK.
6. Step 5: Let go of the idea that same-sex marriage is ruining the sanctity of marriage argument.
7. Step 6: Take a closer look at the Bible.
9. Step 7: Read their story and watch their video. Try not to cry.
Ed Watson was 78-years-old with Alzheimers. He was worried that by the time the court finally ruled on Prop 8, he wouldn’t be able to recognize Derence, his partner of over 40 years.
Unfortunately Ed passed away in December. He was never able to marry Derrence.
11. Step 8: Take a look at the people in your own life. How many couples do you know that have stayed together as long as these couples?
Maureen and Cindy have been together for 37 years. They live in New Jersey with their 2 children. They cannot get married.
Kathy Glass and Carmah Lawler have been together for over 30 years and are from Colorado. “Kathy has a way of being able to laugh at almost anything even though at our age there aren’t that many things to laugh about,” says Carmah.
Lee & Bert have been together for over 25 years. They live in Illinois. Recently, Bert had a heart attack and Lee and wasn’t allowed in the emergency room because they weren’t married. Lee had to tell the nurse his marital status was single even though he had been with his partner for 25 years.
14. Step 9: Imagine their wedding.
15. Step 10: Look how happy these people are.
27. Come on, seriously.
28. Step 11: Ask yourself if you could say no to these kids?
31. Step 12: Ask yourself if you could say no to Neil Patrick Harris?
32. Step 13: Look at the consequences.
33. Step 14: Imagine the alternatives.
- Illinois' attorney general has asked the U.S. Department of Justice's Civil Rights Division to investigate Chicago's police department. ›
- Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg says he'll give away 99% of his Facebook shares (worth $45 billion today) over the course of his life. ›
- And a Turkish court had to call in experts to determine whether a man comparing the country's president to Gollum from "Lord of the Rings" was an insult. ›