1. DKNY has debuted a women’s collection to celebrate Ramadan, a month-long period of daily fasting observed by Muslims worldwide.
2. The collection includes summer staples with a conservative yet modern slant — like bright maxi dresses, printed tops and floor-length skirts, and classic black-and-white separates.
3. This marks the first-ever regionalized collection and campaign for the New York-based brand, which has a growing number of locations in the Middle East.
All looks are modeled and styled by Yalda Golsharifi and Tamara al Gabbani, two popular Middle Eastern bloggers.
4. Some may question whether DKNY’s venture goes against the ideals laid out during Ramadan — like fasting, prayer, and a focus on charity.
5. But in The Independent, Pakistani writer Bina Shah said that as long as religious requirements are met, there’s no harm in buying something beautiful to celebrate the month.
“Ramadan may be dedicated to spiritual practice,” Shah wrote. “But Muslims are raised to celebrate it, and to bring a joyous spirit to the entire month, enjoying its blessings and benefits.”