1. The video for Colbie Caillat’s new single “Try” starts up close and personal with the singer-songwriter — she’s all made up and perfectly polished, without a hair out of place.
2. But as the video goes on, the 29-year-old ditches that look little by little — removing her hair extensions…
4. The makeunder happens all while she sings “Try,” which the singer hopes will help take the focus off unrealistic beauty standards, and remind women to be true to themselves. It’s something that Caillat says she’s had to remind herself, too.
When I see gorgeous models and singers and they look perfect on their album covers, it makes me want to look like that, too, and it makes me feel like if I don’t Photoshop my skin on my album cover, I’m the one who’s going to look a little off and everyone else is going to look perfect. And that’s what everyone is used to seeing.
7. In the video, Caillat is also joined by a beautifully diverse set of women — who remove lashes, lipstick, wigs — to proudly go natural:
8. In an interview with Elle, the Grammy winner admits that going bare for the video was nerve-wracking, but worth it.
“When I shot the first scene with no hair and makeup on in front of an HD camera in my face, flashed with bright lights, everyone was watching. I thought, “Oh my God, I bet they’re all looking at my blemishes, thinking that I should cover them up, or that I should put some volume in my hair,” Caillat said. “But it also felt really cool to be on camera with zero on, like literally nothing on.”
9. Watch the full video for Colbie Caillat’s “Try” here:
- U.S. President Barack Obama said the United Nations climate summit in Paris could be a "turning point" in saving the planet 🌍 ›
- Planned Parenthood officials said they believed Friday's shooting at a Colorado Springs clinic was motivated by opposition to abortion. ›
- And Kobe Bryant wrote a poem announcing that he's retiring from professional basketball at the end of this season 🏀🎭 ›