2. Slayer posted this statement on Facebook:
Slayer is devastated to inform that their bandmate and brother, Jeff Hanneman, passed away at about 11AM this morning near his Southern California home. Hanneman was in an area hospital when he suffered liver failure. He is survived by his wife Kathy, his sister Kathy and his brothers Michael and Larry, and will be sorely missed.
Our Brother Jeff Hanneman, May He Rest In Peace (1964 - 2013)
Jeff Hanneman was a guitarist and founding member of Slayer. The thrash metal band was founded in 1981 with guitarist Kerry King and drummer Dave Lombardo in Southern California. They quickly recruited bassist and vocalist Tom Araya. Hanneman had performed with the band until 2011 when he contracted Necrotizing fasciitis, a flesh eating bacteria that he probably got from a spider bite.
5. Hanneman arranged many of the songs on Slayer’s most iconic album Reign in Blood, including “Raining Blood.”
- 26 people, thought to be refugees and migrants, were discovered in the back of a truck in Austria. ›
- Thai police arrested a man alleged to have explosives in his possession, almost two weeks after a deadly bomb blast in Bangkok killed 20 people. ›
- Oliver Sacks, the famed neurologist and author, died Sunday from cancer. He was 82. ›