1. Meet Ladybug, a bedbug-sniffing beagle.
Here Ladybug inspects a bed in an apartment with bedbugs in San Francisco, California.
Here Ladybug sniffs the trash for signs of bedbugs.
Sniffing more trash.
2. Meet Flo and Lucky who are trained to find counterfeit DVDs.
The Motion Picture Association of America employed Flo and Lucky to sniff out discs made of polycarbonate, so the dogs could locate pirated discs in Malaysia.
Flo is rewarded with a tennis ball after successfully finding the box with counterfeit discs.
Lucky is also rewarded with a tennis ball.
3. Indy is a medical alert dog.
Indy is trained to perform many tasks that assist his owner, who has Ehlers-Danlos syndrome. Indy can even dial 911 in cases of emergency.
4. Meet Sergeant Homer, a mine-sniffing dog.
Here Sergeant Homer performs a mine-proofing sweep in Kandahar, Afghanistan.
Ziggy is a border collie. A very cute border collie.
6. Vine is a six-month-old black labrador, who is training to be a guide dog.
7. This is Tana who works with the Kansas State Fire Marshall’s office.
This statue was created to recognize the incredible contributions of all arson dogs.
Here is the Kansas State Fire Marshal Investigator Rose Rozmiarek and Tana with Austin Weishel, an artist and Colorado firefighter, who designed the bronze statue.
The statue traveled to the NYC Fire Museum, so the public could view it.
Sadie an arson dog sits in the front. Also in the front, Hot Dog, who is the NYC Fire Safety’s mascot.
8. This is Andy, a bomb-sniffing dog, who patrols the BART in Oakland, California.
Andy gets some scratches on the BART.
9. Meet Spike, who is a metropolitan specialist dog.
Spike is on her way to sniff luggage before the London 2012 Olympic Games at Victoria Coach Station.
10. Army Staff Sergeant Buddy, an explosive detection and attack dog, stands up to sniff a suspicious scent in Fort Campbell, Kentucky.
11. Yazmin, a service dog, turns on a light switch for veteran Andrew Pike, who was paralyzed during the Iraq war.
Here Yazmin opens a door.
12. Meet Angus, a turtle-sniffing dog.
Angus sniffs out invasive red-eared slider turtles in Blackburn Lake in in Melbourne, Australia.
13. Meet Sadie, who is a herding dog.
Here she watches her flock.
14. This is Saturn, who is protecting a herd of piglets.
Saturn is livestock guardian dog (LGD). Unlike herding dogs, LGDs stay with the animals they protect, blending in as a full-time member of the group and watching for predators from within.
15. This is Rusty, who is an autism service dog.
Autism service dogs are trained similarly to other service dogs, and help their owners gain independence and confidence to perform everyday activities.
16. This is Rocky, who works with the Marine Corps.
Rocky has many skills, including roadside bomb detection and vehicle extraction.
17. Maybe is a seizure response dog.
Here she is in her working outfit.
19. Petey is a hospice therapy dog.
Petey even has his own name tag featuring his official title “Paw Pal.”
- Turkey's military released an audio recording of what it says were warnings to the Russian warplane before it was downed near Syria's border. ›
- Protesters marched in Chicago for the second night in a row after the release of a video showing the police shooting of black teen Laquan McDonald. ›
- And President Obama actually made his daughters laugh at the annual White House turkey pardon. ›