1. The monk seals are known to Native Hawaiians as “ilio holo i ka uaua,” meaning “dog that runs in rough water.”
2. Monk seals eat everything from eels to octopus.
3. When the monk seal is not hunting or eating, it basks on the beach.
Let’s look at some more photos of it hanging loose on sandy Hawaiian shores.
4. Also, monk seals are happy to rest on volcanic coastlines.
5. And to rest on coral.
6. Sometimes monk seals yawn.
And are even bashful about it.
11. Mother monk seals remain with their pups for the first six weeks.
Then, the mother abandons the pup, which is sad, but the mother is starving.
She has already lost hundreds of pounds and needs to eat.
- Illinois' attorney general has asked the U.S. Department of Justice's Civil Rights Division to investigate Chicago's police department. ›
- Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg says he'll give away 99% of his Facebook shares (worth $45 billion today) over the course of his life. ›
- And a Turkish court had to call in experts to determine whether a man comparing the country's president to Gollum from "Lord of the Rings" was an insult. ›