1. The monk seals are known to Native Hawaiians as “ilio holo i ka uaua,” meaning “dog that runs in rough water.”
2. Monk seals eat everything from eels to octopus.
papahanaumokuakea.gov / Via http://James%20Watt
3. When the monk seal is not hunting or eating, it basks on the beach.
Let’s look at some more photos of it hanging loose on sandy Hawaiian shores.
4. Also, monk seals are happy to rest on volcanic coastlines.
6. Sometimes monk seals yawn.
And are even bashful about it.
11. Mother monk seals remain with their pups for the first six weeks.
Then, the mother abandons the pup, which is sad, but the mother is starving.
Here Are Today's Top Stories
- [Florida is bracing for tropical storm Erika, which is expected to hit the stat on Monday after tearing through Caribbean islands. At least 20 people have been killed. ›] (http://www.buzzfeed.com/stephaniemcneal/at-least-5-people-are-missing-after-tropical-storm-erika-thr)