1. The monk seals are known to Native Hawaiians as “ilio holo i ka uaua,” meaning “dog that runs in rough water.”
2. Monk seals eat everything from eels to octopus.
papahanaumokuakea.gov / Via http://James%20Watt
3. When the monk seal is not hunting or eating, it basks on the beach.
Let’s look at some more photos of it hanging loose on sandy Hawaiian shores.
4. Also, monk seals are happy to rest on volcanic coastlines.
6. Sometimes monk seals yawn.
And are even bashful about it.
11. Mother monk seals remain with their pups for the first six weeks.
Then, the mother abandons the pup, which is sad, but the mother is starving.
In The News Today
- California Republican Kevin McCarthy has dropped out of the race to be the next speaker of the U.S. House. ›
- FIFA has suspended its president Sepp Blatter, secretary general Jerome Valcke, and vice-president Michel Platini for 90 days. ›
- Congressional Democrats are urging the TSA to change its screening procedures for transgender passengers. ›