1. This is it. Spain is out of the World Cup after losing to the Netherlands and Chile.
AP Photo/Christophe Ena
2. How did that happen? How did the reigning champs not even win a single game?
3. It’s a curse.
I know, I know. But bear with me.
4. Four years ago, La Roja won the World Cup in South Africa.
5. And since 1998, every European team that won the World Cup didn’t even go through the first round the next time.
6. In 1998, France won the World Cup.
Daniel Garcia / AFP / Getty Images
7. But in 2002, they didn’t even score a single goal.
KENZO TRIBOUILLARD/AFP / Getty Images
8. Then it was Italy’s turn. They won in 2006.
Alex Livesey / Getty Images
9. And they didn’t even get through the first round in 2010.
In The News Today
- The Temple of Bel, an important ancient structure in the ISIS-held Syrian city of Palmyra, has been destroyed, the United Nations says. ›
- A white supremacist has been found guilty of capital murder in the shooting deaths of three people at two Jewish facilities in Kansas last year. ›
- The U.S. Supreme Court says a Kentucky county must issue marriage licenses while its clerk appeals a ruling in a lawsuit from three same-sex couples against her "no marriage licenses" policy. ›